Often when traveling I have to rely on my trust Nexus 4 android phone to connect to the interwebs, be it on the phone itself or when tethered to my laptop. As such, I often want to test both the wifi and cell data connection on my phone. Most of the time I need to run these test when looking at a new hotel or condo to rent, but also when the connection seems a bit dodgy in an area that was good.
Here is my list of recommendations of apps to test your mobile data connection
This is the app that I have used the most lately when testing my connection.One of the main reasons being is that it has a coverage map built in allowing you to see what mobile carrier has the best coverage, and also which carrier has no coverage in your area. I think this data is collected from people using their app which may be a good or a bad thing in your opinion, but it if it improves the app and does not collect any of my other data, then why not (this feature can be turned off).
- Good dashboard giving much information
- Cell data and Wifi
- Signal Compass
- Coverage map
- Cell tower map
- No ads
- More detailed information would be good
- Speedtest download reported in "KBPS" (all capital). unclear is this is Kilobits or KiloBytes
This app seems to be a more general purpose app rather than an app to help you improve or find a better signal. What I really like about it is the extensive information that it provides. Take a look at the screenshots on the to see what I mean.
- Very detailed information
- Cell data and Wifi data
- Ads (though there is a pro version without ads)
The Speedtest.net website has been around for ages and I have been using it for years. Their mobile app is just as good and is my goto app when all I want to to is test my mobile internet speed.
- One click to test
- Saves test results
- Choose how to display results (Mbps or kBps)
- Saves location (lat/lon)
- Saves / displays data connection type (cell / wifi)
- Does not integrate a map for result locations